We are accepting applications for our Citizen Academy, for Fall/Winter 2023.
Start Date: November 2nd, 2023 — 6PM to 8PM
End Date: December 28th, 2023 — 6PM to 8PM
Location: Warren County Sheriff’s Office, 200 Skyline Vista Drive, Front Royal, VA 22630
Applications can be downloaded HERE.
Please have all applications turned into the Sheriff’s Office by October 15th, so backgrounds can be completed and the program start on time.
The Law Enforcement Citizen Academy provides Warren County citizens with an inside look at local law enforcement operations and challenges. The purpose of the Citizen Academy is to develop positive relations between law enforcement and the community through education. Our goal is to create a core of responsible, well-informed citizens who have the potential to influence public opinion and dispel untruths about law enforcement practices and services.
Participants in each session commit to meet every Thursday, 6:00–8:00pm, for eight weeks, to learn about various aspects of law enforcement. Most of the instructors will be deputies and personnel from within the agency, who speak on their area of expertise. Though the curriculum and teaching methods are similar to the traditional Law Enforcement Academy, the Citizen Academy is not designed to train participants as law enforcement officers or vigilantes.
Citizen Academy participants come to class from a variety of backgrounds, with a variety of philosophies about law enforcement officers. Participants are encouraged to ask questions, express ideas, and offer suggestions. Class size is limited to thirty participants.
LAW ENFORCEMENT CITIZEN ACADEMY REGULATIONS
- Must be 18 to participate.
- The Law Enforcement Citizen Academy shall not interfere with the routine operations of the Sheriff’s Office.
- Participants are required to dress in proper attire (business casual)
- During a ride along with a deputy, no interference with the performance of any deputy shall be permitted.
- Participants who are asked to identify themselves should explain that they are Citizen Academy participants.
- Use of tobacco / marijuana / alcohol products is prohibited in the Public Safety Building and law enforcement vehicles.
- Please turn cell phones off or switch them to vibrate.
- Citizen Academy participants may not carry firearms while attending the Law Enforcement Citizen Academy.
- A criminal records check will be conducted on all applicants prior to admission to the academy. A criminal history may disqualify an applicant from participation.
- A background check form and waiver must be completed in order to participate with the Citizen Academy
CITIZEN ACADEMY CURRICULUM
CLASS 1 — 11/2/2023, 6:00 PM- 8:00 PM
• Meet the Sheriff
• Tour of the Sheriff’s Office
• Officer Requirements/Hiring Process
• Community Policing / SRO
CLASS 2 — 11/9/2023, 6:00 PM- 8:00 PM
• Introduction to Law — Code of VA
• Victim/Witness Program
• Court Services
• Civil Process
CLASS 3 — 11/16/2023, 6:00 PM- 8:00 PM
• Patrol — Presentation
• Traffic Stops
• DUI / DIP
• Crisis Intervention Team / Mental Health
• Drug / Substance Abuse
CLASS 4 — 11/30/2023, 6:00 PM- 8:00 PM
• Investigations — Presentation
• Crime Scene Processing
• Domestic Violence / Sexual Assault
CLASS 5 — 12/7/2023, 6:00 PM- 8:00 PM
CLASS 6 — 12/14/2023, 6:00 PM- 8:00 PM
• Defensive Tactics
CLASS 7 — 12/21/2023, 6:00 PM- 8:00 PM
• Officer Survival
• Active Shooter
CLASS 8 — 12/30/2023, 6:00 PM- 8:00 PM
• SWAT Demo
• K9 Deputies
• Animal Control
We encourage all citizen academy participants to schedule a ride along with a deputy sometime during the duration of the academy before graduation. Ride Along request forms can be downloaded HERE.
*** CLASSES AND DATES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE ***
** Note — Thursday, 11/23/23 is skipped in observance of Thanksgiving **
Citizen Academy Applications can be downloaded HERE and Ride Along Applications can be downloaded HERE. Both applications can be obtained and submitted in person at the Warren County Sheriff’s Office, 200 Skyline Vista Drive, Front Royal, VA 22630
For more information contact Sgt. Vorous
Mail applications to:
Warren County Sheriff’s Office,
ATTN: Sgt. Vorous,
200 Skyline Vista Drive,
Front Royal, VA 22630